The Tudor Well was created over a prolific spring discovered in about 1850 in the garden of Hollyrood House and the Tudor Hotel owned by the famous 19th century hydrotherapist Dr Gully. Whilst excavating the site to install a gas supply to light some of the nearby premises, “a large spring of water suddenly burst into an opening the workmen were then sinking. The rush of water was so great that pumping operations were for a time resorted to – The spring proved to yield a never failing supply of good water – so that the proprietors thought it well to abandon the gas works in favour of the water.”
(Brief of Evidence to House of Lords by Mr Hillyard 1905)
The Tudor Well supplied about 20,000 gallons a day and was contained in a separate Victorian bathhouse for the use of patients who came to stay in Malvern to take the Water Cure with Dr Gully. The bathhouse had been demolished by the 1960`s, but until recently the well was owned by the Severn Trent water company. The MSA Well Warden and the Malvern Spa Association have tried to save this site and have been assured that the developers will now retain the well.